Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Striving For Excellence

Often times we are faced with uncertain times. Times that are hard to understand, times that we wish not to face, or times when our lives are not going as we please. Or for me now a time when I am hungry for my passion, Rodeo. It has been a challenging first semester at the University of Arkansas at Monticello. I came here with a broken collar bone from the IFYR, and by the second week of practice I had sprained my knee. Followed by a concussion by the end of September. It had been my second concussion in a little over two months, so for once I listened to the doctors and took a month off from riding and practicing. When I was able to practice the pen was too wet due to rain and practice was called off for a week, and now the steers are gone till the first of February. It has now been four months since I have jumped a steer, four months to long that is. I tried to take advantage of not practicing, now I know that doesn`t make a whole lot of sense. Look at it this way you cant compete to the best of your abilities with out a few key things. One being completely in tune with your horses. Riding in the woods and just "tuning" on them just helps them to relax and let them realize that not every time they get saddled they aren`t running there heart out for you. Second, is being fit. Lets just say at 5ft 8in tall and weighing in at a whooping 148lbs, I am not the most ideal bulldogger. while balancing College, homework and a job. I have also been doing my best to better tune my body. I don`t want a 6 pack like some guys. I want to be able to handle steers one thing that I have heard many times while practicing with Ivan Nelson and Darby Hunt is "If you had a belly like mine, you would be better off" and in alot of cases there right. I am focusing on my arms and legs right now, those are my weak points and most important for bulldoggers. Third, is spiritually strong I can tell a big difference in my doggin when I am tune with the Lord and what he wants from me. This has been the biggest struggle for me. Never in my life did I attend a public school until college. It was a big shock to me. I am getting better about my prayer life and reading of Gods word, but still not where I should be. I am very thankful that the accountability partner that I had in middle school and high school is still there for me and still calls to check on me through out the week. Through my reading this week I was up lifted about my bulldoggin and in general. In 1 Timothy 4:6-8 is says "6 If you point these things out to the brothers and sisters,a]" style="font-size: 0.75em; line-height: 0.5em; font-family: 'Charis SIL', charis, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; ">[a] you will be a good minister of Christ Jesus, nourished on the truths of the faith and of the good teaching that you have followed. 7 Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives’ tales; rather, train yourself to be godly. 8 For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come." Keyword being trained not just in the word of God, but in everything you do. I have asked myself lately and in the words of Rope Myers "am I Physically strong, emotionally strong, and spiritually strong." what about yourself? Are you? To all my fellow "Crackers" I cant wait to see YA`LL in just less than two weeks.



Goals for the week:

1. Work horses.
2. Slide Steer Saver.
3. Get more in tune with God.
4. 2,000 Push ups.
5. 3,000 sit ups.
6. Ball basketball at least three times.
7. Lift weights at least three times.



Give this a look to!
http://crosstrainingjournals.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment